Monday, June 4, 2012

First Post: Brussels

Hello friends and fam,
I'm not much of a picture-taker, Tweeter, or Facebook-poster, but I've had many requests to share photos and updates while we are abroad, so I thought I'd give a crack at a blog.

So here's how things started out...

I departed on Friday, June 1st and arrived bright and early Saturday in Brussels, greeted by Bri & Matt with Starbucks (coffee is not an area at which Belgium exceeds).  My first day in Belgium was everything I could hope for...

Stop 1 was Brussels famous brewery, Cantillion. For the beer-geeks,  they make sour Guezue Lambic with an open fermentation, or spontaneous fermentation, process (open vat for wild yeast and bacteria to get in the wort), and the beer is cooled in a shallow open vat over night rather than with cold coils.  They can only make their beer in the winter season because of this, and once a batch is gone, it's gone til next year! Yumm!

Next I got a walking tour of a chunk of the city, which included a street waffle, a visit to the infamous Manneken Pis fountain, a glimpse of the Grand-Place, some fabulous chocolates from Mary's, and a few more beers. An excellent beginning to my travels!

2 comments: